Myth-busting a Path to Sustainable Growth and Impact
- Through research and analytics challenged many long held beliefs that were holding back innovative thinking in member value and programming
- Let go of a “serve everyone everywhere” orientation to focus on clear target markets and customer sets
- Defined the customer experience that could distinguish the organization in the marketplace
Making smart decisions:
- Reframed the mission incorporating anchors that are now used to vet strategic and daily decisions
- Linked member value, acquisition and retention to progressive programming
- Selected five core strategies to guide decisions and actions over the next three years
Operationalizing the change:
- Restructured to streamline operations and decision making; focusing more of community operations on direct service to members and program participants
- Created transformation teams of member and program experts to work side by side with staff, continuing the process of upgrading priority program quality and impact.
- Trained over 600 people in customer experience based sales
- Placed an interim COO to guide the transition and work with the top team to build alignment through group interactions, assignments and skill building
- For the first time in several years meeting financial plan and performance goals.
- Recently reached historically record high member acquisitions
- Deliberate measurements in place to track success of the implemented initiatives.
- In selected programs, early evidence of improved program quality and impact
- Receiving local and national recognition for innovative, life-changing programs